There is a lot of buzz about leadership qualities and traits, but what are good leadership skills?
What are good leadership skills for all leaders?
- Integrity – Integrity is doing the right thing, even if no one else is around. Without honesty in all practices, no other leadership skills will be effective.
- Ability to Delegate – Some leaders forget that the word “lead” indicates others are involved. Leading requires one to motivate those others to do what needs to be done, when it needs to be done. That requires delegation.
- Vision – Before you can lead a group, you must first have a definite idea of where you’re going. Being able to visualize the desired outcome of a goal or project is key to successful leadership.
- Communication – Being able to convey your concepts effectively to your team is vital. Otherwise, nothing can be accomplished.
What are good leadership skills for business leaders?
- Self-motivation – The road to success isn’t always easy. Effective leaders are responsible for motivating their team, and the head of that team, the leader, also needs to stay motivated. But who is going to motivate the leader when all looks lost? The leader must be self-motivated.
- Decisiveness – Leadership is decision-making. Some decisions must be made quickly. And some decisions that must be made won’t be popular, but effective leaders make them anyway.
- Adaptable – Plan A doesn’t always work. Be ready to adapt or even scrap your plans and start in another direction, if necessary. Remember, the plan is not the goal. The goal is the goal.
- Resourceful – Leadership is accomplishing what needs to be accomplished with the resources you have available. Take what you have, inventory your assets and liabilities, and develop a strategy to accomplish your goal.
- Accountability – Good leaders take personal responsibility for the project and the team. Placing blame or offering excuses have no place in leadership.
What are good leadership skills that are often overlooked?
- Sense of Humor – Things won’t always go well, so having a light-hearted attitude can lift the spirits of your team during difficult times.
- Charisma – Charisma can’t be faked. It’s that certain charm that helps others to instantly like you. Some say you either have charisma or you don’t. Whether or not you consider yourself charismatic, you can at the very least be likeable by being friendly and open to others. Be respectful of your team.
What are good leadership skills for you and your company?
Randy Frazier is a leadership consultant who conducts leadership training for organizations of all types. Use the form to request information about how Randy can help you discover what are good leadership skills for you.